All color printers have different properties listed on their "Printer" page. For this tutorial, I am using a Canon BJC color printer and an HP Deskjet color printer. All color printers should have a black or grayscale printing option.
1. Forget about the "Print" icon on the Standard toolbar. To save time, you may be tempted to click on the "Print" icon. This action will automatically print your file in the default mode, which is usually pre-set to "color."
2. Open the "File" menu. A drop-down menu will open.
3. Click on "Print." The "Print" window will appear on your screen.
Directions for the Canon Printer:
4. Click on "Properties," located on the "Print" window.
5. Click on the "Main" tab if not already selected.
6. Locate the BJ Cartridge window. If the word "color" is visible, click on the down arrow on the right side of the window.
7. Click on "black" that appears on the small drop-down menu.
8. Click on "OK" at the bottom of the window. The "Properties" window will disappear.
9. Click on "OK" on the "Print" window. This window will disappear. The document will print without color.
Directions for the HP printer:
4. Click on "Properties." The HP printing menu will open.
5. Click on the "Color" tab.
6. When the color tab opens, locate "Print in Grayscale," and click in the small checkbox.
7. Click "OK" at the bottom of the screen.
8. Click "OK" on the "Print" screen. The screen will disappear. The document will print without color.